Austin is one of the most dynamic and fun-filled places for anybody to visit, including families. For many, Austin brings to mind images of Sixth Street with crowded bars and loud live music. However, there is a huge selection of things for families to experience.
Austin, Texas has many activities that are geared towards family and children, including:
- Outdoor adventures
We have compiled a list of 20 things to do the next time you want to take your family to enjoy the sights of Austin. Keep reading to find out more.
Activities For Families In Austin, TX
Ranging from mini golf to zip lining, the options for how to spend the day in Austin are endless.
Here are some ideas:
- Go Karts: Circuit of the Americas has a go kart track for all skills levels. Try it out yourself or watch professionals compete!
- Indoor Skydiving: Want the rush from skydiving without the risk? Try indoor skydiving at iFly Austin.
- Zip lining: Zip Lost Pines allows you to fly over McKinney State Park, giving you a great view of the landscape.
- Alliance Children’s Garden: Beautifully maintained and next to Lady Bird Lake, the Alliance Children’s Garden features a rock climbing wall, a climbing net and a splash pad.
- Indoor Rock Climbing: There are several options for indoor rock climbing in Austin, including baby walls for your little ones.
Now, let’s see different outdoor adventures you can do!
Outdoor Adventures In Austin, TX
When the weather is nice in Texas, you have to take advantage of it.
Below are just a few of the fun outdoor adventures you and your family can have the next time you visit Austin:
- Paddling: You can rent a boat and paddle or swim in Lake Travis, which is a popular spot in the hotter months.
- Drive Thru Safari Park: The Exotic Resort Zoo, located only one hour outside of Austin has a variety of animals that you can feed from your car. Admission is only $6 per person, making it an affordable and fun excursion to do with your family.
- Cave Exploring: Natural Bridge Caverns boasts the largest natural cavern system in Texas. Gear up with a headlamp and have fun exploring!
- Bat Viewing: Something Austin is known for is its natural, and huge, colony of bats that lives under Congress street. A favorite activity of the locals and tourists is to watch them every night at sunset when they fly away to find food for the night.
- Turtle Pond: The University of Texas campus has a famous turtle pond with multiple species of turtles. Make sure to only feed them food they would find in the wild, like greens, fruit, and turtle pellets.
If you have children and want to do fun activities with them, keep reading!
Child-Friendly Museums In Austin, TX
Finding things to do with your family that are educational but also fun can be difficult.
That’s why we put together some museums that even young kids will enjoy:
- The Museum of Ice Cream: Learn about the history of ice cream, enjoy unlimited samples, and “swim” in a sprinkle pool. What more could you ask for!
- Wonderspaces: Wonderspaces offers 14 interactive art installations that will truly stun you, as well as being kid friendly.
- Science Mill: The Science Mill’s goal is to get kids excited about STEM topics, which they do by having a fossil dig, fractal atrium and virtual body map.
- Bullock Museum: The Bullock is all about Texas history and you’ll certainly be left without questions after experiencing the story of how Texas got its’ independence.
Now, let’s see the next fun family activity.
Children’s Shows In Austin, TX
Here are some great options for movies, shows, and live performances that are perfect for kids.
- Catch A Movie In the Park: The City of Austin holds free screenings of popular Disney and Pixar movies in Mueller park. Make sure to bring chairs or a blanket.
- Bass Concert Hall: The Bass Concert Hall often has shows made specifically for children, such as a live performance of Peppa Pig. Make sure to check their schedule when planning your vacation.
- The Rock and Roll Playhouse: This venue may be all about rock and roll, but they also cater to children. Catch one of their shows like “The Beatles for Kids” or “Grateful Dead for Kids”
- Green Time: While this isn’t necessarily a show, Green Time at Lady Bird Convention Center does a gardening presentation to kids every weekend. They hope to inspire a love of nature.
Now you know some fun family things to do in Austin, Texas!
Ultimate Guide to Family Fun In Austin, Texas
We hope this extensive guide to Austin gives you some good information for your next trip. It’s truly a one of a kind city and has a seemingly endless list of restaurants, activities and shops.
What’s great about Austin is that even though it may be known for its bars and nightclubs, it also has an array of kid- centered activities.