You may be looking to remove the popcorn ceiling from your Texas home for many reasons. Whether you’re looking to update the look of your room or you’re worried about the potential health risks lurking in your ceiling, your main question is likely related to the cost. So, how much does it cost to remove a popcorn ceiling in Texas?
On average, removing a popcorn ceiling in Texas costs between $1 and $4 per square foot. However, the exact cost will vary based on the precise location and the complexity of the removal process.
This article will give you everything you need to know about removing your popcorn ceiling. Keep reading to learn the cost of removal, how it’s removed, and how removing it benefits you.
Is It Expensive to Get Rid of Popcorn Ceilings In Texas?
It can be expensive to remove a popcorn ceiling. You will not only encounter the cost of removing the popcorn ceiling but you should also consider the cost of putting something else in its place.
The average cost of removing and replacing popcorn is between $3600 and $4500 for homes around 1800 sq ft. The price can increase dramatically if asbestos is detected in the ceiling.
In addition to paying someone to remove and replace the ceiling, you will generally be charged for asbestos testing, especially when having a popcorn ceiling removed. This testing can cost anywhere from $200 to over $1000 if you have it done by a professional.
Benefits of Removing a Popcorn Ceiling In Your Texas Home
While it may be costly to remove the popcorn ceiling, it is worth it for several reasons. This is especially true if you are planning to sell the house.
The benefits of removing a popcorn ceiling include:
- Removing the health risk of asbestos: Popcorn ceilings installed in the 1980s or earlier are likely to contain asbestos, which poses severe threats to your health if exposed.
- Increases the value of your home: Popcorn ceilings are a dated look. So, exchanging your dated popcorn ceilings for something more modern can increase your home’s value.
- No more cleaning up the popcorn pieces: It’s no secret that popcorn ceilings can create a mess. One swipe with the broom to take a cobweb down, and tiny pieces of the ceiling land everywhere.
- Improves the room’s look: Replacing your popcorn ceilings will give the room a more modern look. In addition, modern ceiling options are much easier to clean and paint than popcorn ceilings.
All these things make the investment to remove your popcorn ceiling worth it. Removing the popcorn ceiling will create a healthier, more attractive, and more valuable home.
DIY Popcorn Ceiling Removal
Professional popcorn ceiling removal can be a costly investment that may not fit into all budgets. Luckily, it is possible to remove a popcorn ceiling yourself.
Test Your Popcorn Ceiling for Asbestos
However, before you decide to take this route, you’ll need to ensure that no asbestos is present. You can do this by getting a DIY test kit, collecting a sample, and sending the sample to the kit’s designated lab for results.
Determine Whether You Can Remove It Yourself
Once you get your results back, which could take anywhere from 24 hours to a week, depending on the test you use, you will then be able to determine whether you should remove the ceiling yourself.
If your ceiling contains asbestos, you should not do it yourself. If your ceiling is cleared, the video below will show you the best way to remove your popcorn ceiling yourself.
Covering a Popcorn Ceiling Without Removing It
If you aren’t ready to tackle the cost and mess it takes to remove your popcorn ceiling, you can easily cover it up. One of the most popular choices for covering popcorn ceilings is to cover them with drywall. The downfall of covering the ceiling with drywall is that it can get expensive and time-consuming.
Other alternatives for covering your popcorn ceiling include:
- Ceiling planks: Ceiling planks are one of the simplest ways to cover a popcorn ceiling.
- Skim coating: One of the cheapest solutions to covering a popcorn ceiling is to apply a skim coat. However, this method can be complex and messy.
- Ceiling tiles: Depending on the type of tiles you choose, this method can get pricey. However, ceiling tiles are a quick and easy way to cover a popcorn ceiling.
As you can see, there are many alternatives to removing the ceiling. In addition to the ideas above, you can get creative with what you use to cover them. For example, using old scrap tin to cover a ceiling is popular among fans of the farmhouse trend.
If you’re wondering how much it costs to remove a popcorn ceiling in Texas, the answer is that it can be a pretty expensive project if done professionally. In addition, the project can get even more costly if the ceiling contains asbestos.
However, the cost of the project is worth it for many reasons. Or, you can lower the price by doing the project yourself, as long you ensure there’s no asbestos present before you begin.