In the past few years, Dallas has actually become a significantly safer city. This is thanks in large part to the emphasis on downtown living and redeveloped areas that are easily accessible and safe by day. However, things get a little scary after dark. Is it safe to go out at night in Dallas?
Dallas is safe at night. The city has gone to great lengths to improve safety over the years. However, as with any big city, there are areas to avoid. There are also a number of ways to stay safe when exploring the city after dark, with some simple precautions and insider tips from local insiders.
Keep reading for tips on how to stay safe at night in Dallas — whether you’re visiting or living there permanently.
All big cities have some areas that are less safe than others, but overall, Dallas is a safe city. Especially when compared to other large cities in the US.
The city is becoming safer every year. Dallas has seen a decrease in violent crime and has ranked as one of the safest cities in the United States for the past few years.
That being said, there are some areas you want to avoid at night — particularly the West End and Deep Ellum areas. These parts of town tend to be a bit more dangerous, especially if you’re walking alone. Keep reading for tips on how to stay safe in Dallas.
Although Dallas is a fairly safe city after dark, there are areas that should be avoided. In fact, these areas should be avoided during the day, too, if possible.
As mentioned above, the West End and Deep Ellum areas are pretty sketchy after dark. There are high rates of crime, drugs, and other issues in these areas. It’s best to avoid these places at night unless you absolutely have to be there.
Another area to avoid is the industrial area along the Trinity River. There are few people walking around here, and it’s definitely deserted at night. This area is also home to a lot of homeless people, so it’s best to steer clear of this part of town. The rest of the city, even Downtown, is perfectly safe for visitors to explore after dark.
Dallas is a great city with a lot to offer, but like any other city, it has its own share of crime. And just like in other big cities, crime often occurs when it’s dark out.
To stay safe in Dallas at night, locals suggest staying in groups, avoiding walking around after dark while intoxicated, and avoiding busy intersections. These are just a few ways to stay safe at night in Dallas.
Here are details for some of the tips mentioned above, as well as some other ideas for staying safe in Dallas at night:
- Stay in Groups: It’s always best to travel in groups of two or more people. If you’re visiting with a friend or significant other, don’t leave each other alone unless you absolutely have to.
- Avoid Drunk Walking: If you’ve been drinking, take a taxi or use public transportation. It’s easy to get lost or disoriented when you’re buzzed, and you don’t want to get yourself into trouble.
- Stay off the Train Tracks: If you’re visiting Deep Ellum, don’t walk up or down the train tracks. It’s a popular place for people to loiter and use drugs at night, and there have been deaths along the tracks in the past.
- Avoid Busy Intersections: Busy intersections tend to be busy at all hours of the night, and there can be a lot of crime at these spots. Try to avoid major intersections, particularly the more notorious ones.
- Be Mindful of Your Bag: Keep your bag close to your body at all times. If you need to put it down, put it on your lap or on the floor next to you.
- Keep Your Eyes Peeled: Keep your eyes peeled for potential threats. If you see someone suspicious, walk in a different direction — don’t engage in any sort of confrontation.
Being mindful is your best defense for staying safe at night in Dallas. However, locals have a few other suggestions for safe travels at all times when visiting Dallas.
There are a few things to keep in mind when traveling to Dallas:
- Always carry a self-defense device, whether that be pepper spray, a taser, or a knife. The best self-defense is to avoid conflict altogether.
- Take a taxi instead of walking. It can be tough to find a taxi at night, particularly in bad weather. Uber or Lyft are also great options.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Don’t get distracted by your phone or headphones; keep your eyes peeled for potential threats.
- Stay in a hotel near the city center. Avoid hotels in the West End or Deep Ellum areas; they tend to be much cheaper but much less safe.
Again, Dallas has made a conscious effort over the past several years to really embrace the friendly Texas vibe and maintain a safe, big city feel.
The nicest part of Dallas is definitely the Downtown area. Here, you’ll find lots of restaurants, museums, and entertainment. You can also walk around this area after dark with no worries. Plus, it’s close to the Trinity River, which is a beautiful area to walk, run, or bike at any time of day.
The Downtown area is also a great base for exploring the rest of the city. You can easily get to other areas of Dallas, like the Arts District or Bishop Arts, via light rail. If you’re only in Dallas for a short time, this is the best place to stay. The Trinity River is also a really beautiful area, and it’s less crowded than Downtown.
Whether you’re a native of Dallas or a tourist, you’ll have a great time exploring the city at night. Just be sure to follow these tips, and you’ll stay safe wherever you go. There’s no better time than now to visit Dallas, and we hope you have a great time. Stay safe, have fun, and don’t forget to take lots of pictures!