Texas is experiencing one of the biggest domestic immigrations in the country; in fact, in 2021, 310,000 Americans moved to Texas. But Texas is an extremely large state with several metropolitan cities, and some of the cities are experiencing much more growth than others. So let’s find out: What is the fastest growing city in Texas?
San Antonio, in south-central Texas, is the fast-growing city of all the Texas cities. Over 13,600 residents moved to San Antonio from other states and locations in Texas between 2020 and 2021. The metropolitan area has seen an average of a 2% increase in population over the past 4 years.
In this article, we are going to find out exactly how many people are moving to Texas’ fastest-growing city, San Antonio, as well as why they are moving there, and how its growth compares to the rest of the state. So keep reading; you are going to be a Texas population expert in just a few minutes.
Population Statistics for the Fastest Growing City in Texas
As you now know, almost 14,000 Americans moved from their previous residences to San Antonio, Texas, from 2020 to 2021, making it the fastest-growing city in the state.
San Antonio’s population has been consistently rising throughout the past two decades by at least 2% per year, and statistics are showing that it’s not slowing down any time soon!
In addition to understanding that San Antonio is the fastest growing city in Texas, you are probably wondering why everyone is moving there!
Why is San Antonio Growing so Fast?
There is a lot to love about San Antonio, Texas, and there are essentially 5 reasons why so many people are picking up and moving to this beautiful city.
- Great Economy. San Antonio was ranked number 11 on Forbes’ list of Best Places for Business and Careers and has a growing and impressive economy.
- Job Opportunities. There are several Fortune 500 and other big-name companies based there that provide plenty of great job opportunities.
- Fantastic Education. SA is known for its prominent educational system, and with over 30 private schools, as well as 3 major universities, it’s a great place to learn.
- Ample Entertainment. There is so much to do in San Antonio! As a historical landmark, many parades and festivals celebrating Texas are held here every year, and there are several activities, such as the San Antonio Seaworld Park, Rodeo Show, and beautiful outside spaces to explore.
- Easy Transportation. There is a rubber-tired streetcar system that goes around the downtown and greater metropolitan areas, as well as public transport, easy access to the highway, and the San Antonio International Airport for when you need to get out of town.
- Affordable Housing. Although the average cost of a house in SA is rising, it is still considered one of the more affordable cities in Texas and much more reasonable than most other cities throughout the county. You can expect to pay $345,114 for a family home in SA this year.
- Low Cost of Living. The cost of living index in San Antonio is 89.7, which is significantly lower than the country’s average of 100.
Overall, the residents of San Antonio truly love to live there, and new residents are arriving every day to enjoy the relaxed lifestyle, fun activities, and affordability that the city has to offer.
How Does San Antonio Compare to Other Texas States?
Realistically, almost every city in Texas is currently growing as there has been a mass migration to the state over the past three years.
Other major cities that are growing quickly include Fort Worth, with an additional 12,916 residents, and Frisco, with 7,933.
It’s important to note that while San Antonio places first as the fastest growing city in Texas due to the actual number of people who have moved there, some other small suburban cities outside of major metropolitan areas are growing even faster if you consider the percentage at which they are growing.
For example, Josephine, just northeast of Dallas, had a population expansion from 2,258 in 2020 to 4,565 in 2021, which is a 102.2% increase!
So, what is the fastest-growing city in Texas? Hopefully, you know the answer to this one by now!
But just in case you forgot, San Antonio is the fastest-growing city in Texas. It received almost 14,000 new residents from the rest of the state and throughout the country from 2020 to 2021, and for good reason.
San Antonio, Texas, is simply a great place to live. With affordable housing, a booming economy, plenty of job opportunities, a low cost of living, a relaxing atmosphere, and tons of entertainment and outdoor activities, you just might want to be one of San Antonio’s newest residents!