Colorado attracts nature-lovers and adventurers from all over, but once you arrive, it can be difficult to decide where to go. Ideally, you want to go somewhere where the weather is good enough for you to go explore the great outdoors at any time. Fortunately, there is one city with the best weather in Colorado.
The city in Colorado that has the best weather is Canon City. Canon City is a small town located about a two-hour drive away from Colorado’s capital, Denver. It is part of the Royal Gorge Region and is near the Arkansas River and the Rocky Mountains.
However, in such a populated state, how did we determine what qualified as ‘best weather? Keep reading to find out!
Why Does Canon City, Colorado Have the Best Weather?
Because Colorado weather is fairly homogenous across the state, Canon City benefits from both the advantages of Colorado weather in general, in addition to its own unique aspects.
Canon City has the best weather because it has:
- 255+ sunny days
- January low of 19 °F, which is higher than Colorado’s average of 13 °F
- July high of 90 °F; although this is lower than some other cities in Colorado, the elevation makes warm-weather feel more intense.
- 15 inches of rain per year (The U.S. average is 38 inches).
- Low humidity, which makes the cold feel warmer and the hot feel cooler.
Although Colorado does experience the four seasons, Canon City’s climate results in ideal weather through the year. Like most places, however, it does have prime seasons—which you can find below.
When is the Best Time to Visit Canon City, Colorado?
Many outdoor lovers are willing to dedicate time to planning their trip in accordance with the weather. Fortunately, we know when the best time for you to visit Canon City is.
For comfortable weather, the best time to visit Canon City, CO is May, June, and September. These are the most moderate and least precipitous months. However, because of Canon City’s comparably consistent weather, many people enjoy visiting throughout the summer and winter as well.
Now that you have a general idea of when you are coming to visit, it is time to find out what exactly there is to do in Canon City, Colorado!
What Activities and Attractions Are in Canon City, Colorado?
To go with the excellent weather, Canon City is also in the middle of many natural attractions and activities. The most notable one is the Royal Gorge, since Canon City is in the Royal Gorge Region.
Activities & Attractions in Canon City:
- Museum of Colorado Prisonsmay seem like a morbid choice, but many visitors enjoy the interesting stories and artifacts from inmates and guards of the past.
- Garden Park Fossil Areais an ideal spot to learn about the many dinosaur excavations that have occurred in Colorado—some of the fossils are even in the Smithsonian!
- Canon City Bikes & Brewsis the premier choice for anyone who wants to either relax with a drink or rent a bike to take their own adventure in Royal Gorge Park.
- Skyline Driveis a great choice for when you’re taking a break from hiking but still want to enjoy Canon City’s beautiful views from the comfort of your car.
- Fremont Center of the Artsfeatures a permanent art display, as well as rotating gallery displays, and sometimes music events.
- Great Sand Dunes National Park & Preservedisplays some of the unique topography Colorado has the offer, since the sand dunes are in such close proximity to the Rocky Mountains.
- Royal Gorge Region and Park Activities
Royal Gorge Region Park and Activities:
- Royal Gorge Bridgeis a suspension bridge approximately 1,000 ft above the Arkansas River.
- Royal Gorge Route Railroadtakes you on a train ride through the Rockies to enjoy the views.
- Royal Gorge Regional Museum & History Centeris an ideal choice to learn about the history of the Royal Gorge Region.
- Royal Gorge Ziplinetakes you over the Royal Gorge Region from high-up!
- Royal Gorge White Water Raftingis an opportunity to experience the wild Arkansas River.
Anyone who visits Canon City will have their schedule plenty full with such a variety of activities! With this many natural attractions to visit, you’ll undoubtedly be able to confirm that Canon City has the best weather in Colorado.
Colorado does not have a vast number of differences in regards to weather across its various regions, however the city with the most consistent and best weather in Canon City. Canon City is about two hours from Colorado’s capital, and is in the very popular Royal Gorge Region. Canon City has the best weather due to its many sunny days, warmer than average winters, and low humidity.
Because of Canon City’s location and weather, it is the ideal place to be outdoors. Fortunately, there are plenty of places to enjoy outdoors activities. This includes white water rafting, hiking, biking, and ziplining! If you want to take a break from the outdoors, Canon City also has a few museums and an art center to visit.