Knowing if your home may contain asbestos in the popcorn ceilings is very important for those who live in the home as it can cause several health issues. You might have heard that Texas has stopped using asbestos for popcorn ceilings for this reason, but when did they enforce this?

Due to the dangers of asbestos, Texas banned the use of asbestos in popcorn ceilings in 1978. However, manufacturers were still able to install asbestos-containing popcorn ceilings. 

The toxin, asbestos, is six minerals that are heat, fire, chemical, and electrical resistant. This is why the toxin has been widely used in Texas homes and homes all across America. But we all know now that it is a dangerous material. So you may be wondering, what action do I take next to stay away from this harmful toxin?

Does My Texas Home Have Asbestos in the Popcorn Ceilings?

Getting an older house or property tested for asbestos would be a great precaution before entering and putting yourself at risk. You should never enter an area that could contain asbestos without wearing a respirator and other equipment. This will also reduce risk for exposure. But what should I do if the house ends up having asbestos in the popcorn ceilings?

If your home was built before the 1990s in Texas, there is a chance you may have asbestos in your popcorn ceilings. Since the asbestos ban, popcorn ceilings have continued to be installed in homes into the 1990s. There is a chance your popcorn ceiling can contain 10 percent asbestos. 

Finding out more history of your home can help you better assess whether you should test the popcorn ceilings for asbestos. Here you can order a free testing kit. Hiring a licensed professional is another option for extra precaution. 

What to Do if You Have Asbestos in Your Popcorn Ceilings

If you suspect there is asbestos in your home, you should not do home renovations before calling a licensed professional. Starting home renovations with asbestos in your home can release the fibers in the air and it can become very dangerous. 

It is best to find the area with asbestos and seal the room off until a professional can remove it properly. Never touch asbestos, it can make the fibers release into the air. 

Asbestos has to be treated to keep you and other people safe. It is extremely harmful and could cause life threatening diseases if not treated properly. 

Dangers of Being Exposed to Asbestos

Most people who are exposed to asbestos and develop serious diseases, were exposed at work for over 20 years. However, this does not mean you can not develop serious diseases from little exposure in your home. 

When exposed to asbestos, the fibers are breathed in and remain in your lungs for many years. This causes build up and eventually you may experience trouble breathing. 

It can be 10 to 40 years before you have symptoms of exposure. Sadly asbestos exposure is irreversible and can not be cured. Here are symptoms of exposure:

  • Trouble breathing
  • Cough
  • Fatigue 
  • Wheezing

If you are experiencing any of these symptoms after being exposed to asbestos, it is very important to visit your doctor immediately. Asbestos can cause mesothelioma, asbestosis, lung cancer and many other fatal diseases. Having a health assessment of your lungs could possibly help doctors determine how to treat you. 

Treating Asbestos from Popcorn Ceilings

There are two ways of treating asbestos without going through the removal process.

They include:

  • Sealing: Using a sealant to bind together the asbestos fibers can help reduce the risk of asbestos releasing into the air.
  • Covering: This involves placing a material on the asbestos and preventing it from releasing. 

Although these treatments are effective, they do not completely remove the asbestos from the area. It temporarily treats the areas affected and is still in your home. 

How to Get Asbestos Removed from Popcorn Ceilings

Removal is used when the homeowner wants to completely remove asbestos from their home. This method is recommended the most to eliminate asbestos completely and reduce the risk for exposure. 

Calling a professional to remove the toxin is very important because they thoroughly clean the area and dispose of the asbestos. The home must be inspected several times before anyone can enter for safety purposes. 

If you try to remove asbestos yourself and do not dispose of it correctly, the EPA can fine you for improper disposal. Improper disposal can put hundreds of people at risk for asbestos exposure.

So What Should I Do Now? 

Getting your popcorn ceiling inspected for asbestos would be very important before removing it. Whether you decide to order a test kit or hire a professional, knowing whether you have been exposed to asbestos is important. 

Removal is the best option for not putting yourself at risk for exposure. By doing this, you and your family should have no worries of developing symptoms in the future. Although if you experience symptoms, it is very unfortunate and your doctor would gladly help you find the right treatment.