Although many people are familiar with the multitude of mountains in Washington, most don’t know what other topography Washington offers. While most cities in Washington experience all four seasons, including several feet of snow every year, Washington offers islands with better weather.
The city with the best weather in Washington is Friday Harbor. Friday Harbor is on the San Juan Islands in northwestern Washington. Friday Harbor was established as a commercial port for the island before eventually becoming the head and only town in San Juan Island County.
Now that you know more about Friday Harbor, the city with the best weather in Washington, it is important to find out why it is the best. So keep reading to learn about what kind of weather can be expected in Friday Harbor, Washington!
Why Does Friday Harbor Have the Best Weather?
Since the weather in Washington state can range from burning hot summers to below freezing winters, the city with the best weather is certainly the city with the mildest weather.
Friday Harbor has the best weather in Washington because it has:
- 157 sunny days per years
- July high of 71.3 °F
- January low of 36 °F, and rarely goes below freezing.
- 4.4 inches of snow per year—some cities in Washington average 50 inches of snow per year.
Although 36 °F is not exactly warm, it is a big improvement compared to the cities closer to the mountains where snow boots are certainly needed. Below you can find out when the best time to visit Friday Harbor, Washington is.
When is the Best Time to Visit Friday Harbor, Washington?
Since it is on the San Juan Islands and can only be reached by ferry or plane, it is important to plan your trip according to when you can experience the best weather Friday Harbor, Washington has to offer.
The best time to visit Friday Harbor, Washington is in July, August, and September. Although Friday Harbor does not get much snow, it does get a considerable amount of rain. As a result, the summer and beginning of autumn are the best time because they are the driest months of the year.
Now that you know which months are best to cash in those 157 sunny days, it is time to find out what activities are available when you visit Friday Harbor!
What Activities are in Friday Harbor?
Although Friday Harbor’s winter isn’t typically freezing, its neighbors (Canada and mainland Washington) get very cold weather, so ferries aren’t usually available from November to March. Fortunately, our list can help you fit the best activities into your itinerary when visiting Friday Harbor!
Historical & Cultural Attractions in Friday Harbor, Washington:
- San Juan Islands Museum of Art (SJIMA) is a collection and celebration of the culture and works of San Juan Island residents.
- The Whale Museum teaches about the stewardship of whales and the surrounding Salish Sea ecosystem.
- San Juan Community Theatre is a platform for community members to come together and perform.
- Friday Harbor Film Festival convenes every year and invites various filmmakers to share their stories and encourage artistic expression in the community.
- San Juan Historical Society & Museum explores the history of Friday Harbor, including the James King farm hose, Scribner log cabin, and original county jail.
Nature Activities in Friday Harbor, Washington:
- Guided Kayaking Tours are available from multiple businesses as a way to explore the local seascape.
- Fly Around San Juan Islands is perfect for the more adventure-inclined, to get a sky view of the San Juan Islands.
- Whale Watching Tours are available throughout the year, but the best time to go is May through October.
- Walking Parks and Trails (Spring St. Landing Aquarium, Fairweather Park at the Marina) are a way to see along manmade trails and see a small aquarium that changes seasonally.
- San Juan Scenic Byway is ideal for those who may not be up for walking but still want to explore the island.
Friday Harbor may seem a bit remote, but it more than makes up for the distance with many activities that celebrate everything about the island, from the people to the ocean! Friday Harbor also has many restaurants that serve fresh local seafood, so you shouldn’t miss out on that either!
Friday Harbor is a unique town with the best weather in Washington. It has over 157 sunny days per year, mild summers, and warmer-than-average winters. The best months to visit Friday Harbor are July, August, and September. Its winters are usually too cold for outdoor activities, and that’s when Friday Harbor receives most of its rain.
Although Friday Harbor started as the epicenter of business, it is also now a location to celebrate the history and culture of the San Juan Islands. After eating at, learning about, and exploring Friday Harbor, you will be satisfied with both your weather and vacation expectations.